Saturday, July 23, 2011

Phlox paniculata 'David' makes its debut in my gardens to brighten up these oppressively hot days

Some of the first blooms from my Phlox paniculata 'David', in front of the heat seared blooms of my 'Endless Summer' hydrangea.  With our temps north of 100 with that dreaded heat index, hydrangea blooms all over town have these brown crispy edges, no matter how much we water them - unless they are in total shade.

Back to my beloved 'David' phlox...I absolutely love this phlox best of all the Phlox paniculata, and I've tried every hue.  David has sturdy and strong stems that never flop, no mildew problems, and gives me constant flowers from now till well into September.  It even has a sweet scent that I, and the fat bumblebees, love.  I'd never be without it because it brightens up the tired summer border with it's pure white petals and chartreuse green new leaves.  The other Phlox paniculata I want to try is 'Laura' which promises to have vibrant purple flowers with cute white eyes.  Laura and David would make a lovely couple in my gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment